WHEN GLORY SHONE AROUND


If you have read the rest of my blog, you’ll know by now that I am (for my sins) a huge Halifax Town fan. So you can imagine how surreal my day was on Sunday May 22 – the team I have supported from the age of 7 was playing on the hallowed turf of Wembley Stadium for the first time in our history. I never dreamed this would ever happen. It’s been a tough season, being relegated after such a good few years was a big reality check. An FA Trophy final appearance was bittersweet, but an unbelievable experience nonetheless. I’m going to try and put into words how that day turned out to be one of the best.


All week, my dad, my sister and I couldn’t control our excitement. I think “When Glory Shone Around” (Town’s Wembley anthem) was repeated over 100 times as my voice had already started to go before the day even arrived. The anthem itself, I believe is one of the best I have heard. For me, there is a particular verse in the song that is very poignant:
            “We remember those who have gone before,
            so many generations through so many wars.
            Legends of our terraces,
            you’re in our hearts, you’ll come with us.
            The privilege is ours, upon this day,
            to make you proud, to carve our name upon the slab of history.
            The Shaymen are at Wembley.”

These lyrics are particularly emotional as the only part missing on such a spectacular occasion, was that my grandpa couldn’t be there. He is the reason I support Halifax Town and I know he would have loved to have been able to watch them play at Wembley. He certainly did come with us, he was in our hearts and we made him proud. Grandpa was definitely watching and supporting from up there, and to win was an honour to his memory.

Our day started at 7:30am as we set off for the long trip down to London. Dad, Papa, Lily, Charlotte and I were all as giddy as each other. We arrived at Stanmore at about half 12 after a short pit stop in Milton Keynes to see an old family friend, who fed and watered us with bacon sandwiches and tea. Perfect fuel for the day ahead. A quick train ride from Stanmore and we were at Wembley. The hallowed arch stood before us as we emerged from the train station. After weeks of excitement, it was almost time to stride up Wembley Way with the Shay faithful. It was a dream come true.

I wonder what odds you would have got, on what was about to happen. We ventured down the road into a pub full of Halifax fans, all overly raucous and excited for the game. Luckily, said pub had Sky Sports on and we were able to watch Wakefield play Catalans. The day was going almost too smoothly, as I’m used to some sort of mishap when my dad takes charge of proceedings. All I wished for that day was both of my teams to win, something that I had very little hope in happening. I thought Catalans would prove one step too far in Wakefield’s journey up the Super League table. How wrong I was! It was 24-24 with two minutes to go, and after being 14-0 down I would have been happy with that result. But up steps Jacob Miller, on the half way line, and he sets himself up for a drop goal! A drop goal from 50m? He must be mad. Again, I was wrong. Miller slotted it perfectly between the posts and we won the game. We beat Catalans! Chris Chester, you are a magician. I haven’t felt such optimism supporting Wakefield in a very long time. Naturally, we all roared in jubilation at the result. Wakefield winning set us up for the game ahead, not that we weren’t overly excited already!

3pm loomed and it was finally time to descend upon Wembley Way. We met my Uncle Richard and the rest of the Sandal contingent before the emotional walk up to the magnificent stadium. I have been to Wembley a few times for the Challenge Cup Final, but never to watch my own team. As a Halifax fan and supporting Wakefield, I’m not used to seeing big games and playing in places like Wembley. It was an unbelievable feeling to stroll up there along with 11,000 other Halifax fans, knowing that they were about to play in that stadium. I can’t even begin to describe how I felt. After about twenty minutes soaking up the atmosphere, we entered through the Bobby Moore entrance and begun the ascent to our seats. It was all becoming real now; I can’t imagine how the players must have been feeling. I shed a few tears as we walked out into our seats. It was a magnificent view and the stadium and pitch looked immaculate.


The teams came out, the national anthem was sung and everybody was waiting with anticipation for the whistle to blow. I wasn’t expecting Halifax to win, I was just happy to be there. My dad and I had both said before the game, to enjoy the day no matter what the result. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I made sure I remembered every last bit of it. Halifax started the game well, pressuring Grimsby and looking the more likely to score. However, come halftime it was all square and there was nothing in the game. It was nerve racking, to say the least. The half time whistle blew and a welcome rest bite followed. 45 minutes down and we were still very much in the game! It made a change from the rest of the season. 

I was stuck in the food queue as the second half was about to start (obviously), but I wouldn't miss anything in the first few minutes, right? Wrong. Again. I was watching with intent on the big screen, I turned my back for a minute and suddenly I heard the sound of the crowd reverberate round the stadium walls. I bolted inside to see every single Halifax fan jumping around in elation, even my Uncle Richard was off his seat. Scott McManus had just put us 1-0 up at Wembley. What a feeling! How typical of me to miss the goal?! I’m never getting food at half time at a game ever again. Honestly, I couldn’t think of a better person to score at Wembley, Scott has almost become part of the furniture at the Shay and to see him score what turned out to be the winning goal was perfect. Yes, the winning goal! I’m still in shock to this day. We deserved it and the feeling after the final whistle blew, watching the players walk up to collect the trophy was the best experience ever. I can’t even begin to describe it. What a way to end a dismal season! Here’s to remembering such an unbelievable experience for the rest of my life, and onwards to a better year.        

Comments

Popular Posts